Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Customer service, professionalism and efficiency: what we can learn from the US of A

Yesterday, I went into the Nike store on Michigan Avenue to buy running shoes. A pronounced cat, I left the ones I owned behind when I moved, quite confident I would never ever need another pair. As a friend once pointed out, it is a wonder I don't get along with those feline furry domestic animals. I think it has to do with the fact that we are too alike, at least when it comes to curling up on the couch and enjoying some cheese.
But I digress from what I set out to discuss.
So I walked into Nike Town, fell in love with a pair, over paid, and came home. And because I had to justify the money I spent on them, I went for a jog (I don't/can't/won't run).
But when the great wise men came up with idioms, they must have put a lot of thought into it. A leopard, you see, never really changes its spots.
The initial euphoria of the purchase over, I went on a guilt trip on how much I spent for shoes that I could not even motivate myself to use regularly. I'm not telling you how much, it is much too embarrassing, but let's just say I paid more than double of what I could really afford. So I looked up Nike's return policy.
Now I was more or less familiar with such policies thanks to my job, but even so, was completely bowled over by how efficiently stores here run themselves.
The entire process can be described in less than 10 words. I went, returned, got my money back. Just like that, no questions other than the necessary asked. (Do you have the receipt? Do you have the card you paid with?)
When that happens, it is but impossible not to compare similar Indian experiences. I am not your poster starry-eyed-over-Umreeka kind of person-- there are things about this country that totally get my goat-- but inefficiency is not something I can fault this land with.
I remember when I had to exchange (not even return) a pair of shoes at a Metro store on Bangalore's 100 feet road. I had to wait for about 15-20 minutes before a store personnel could tend to me. He took the pair from me, asked me edgily about when I had purchased them even though I had handed him the receipt, and then vanished into the interiors for another 15 minutes.
When he came out, I was told they do not have the size I wanted, so I had to check with them next week. Could they call me to let me know? No. Note here, stores in India do not have a refund policy-- shoppers can only get store credit.
And it is not just pricey Nike. Shop at Ikea, the mecca of everything affordable for home furnishing, and one sees the same kind of efficiency. Sure, you won't have two store people waiting on you when you shop at Ikea, but then they never promised you that. What they promised is cheap and efficient furniture, and that you will get.
On a budget, I bought lamps that were towards the lower end of their price range. When I set them up at home, the bases were wobbly. I told myself that cheaper products will come with some defects, until the Ikea person fixed them for me. And I realised what India lacks in its "shining" and why so may foreigners have some genuine problems adjusting to the ways of the country.
We make too many false promises, and take too much for granted.
A shopkeeper can be cocky with his client there because they know they can get away with it, especially if the client is younger. (We still try to stick to a strange code of respect towards elders that is getting more and more irrelevant, but more on that later.)
Shoppers deal with the fact that the ready to eat dinner they bought will not taste/feel like what is on the box, because "waisa hi hain."
Here, Trader Joes, a grocery chain, will take back an open pack of dip/sauce/food if the buyer is not happy with it. Almost no questions asked.
And I won't hear of the argument that there are too many people in India who would resort to cheap tricks like using the merchandise and then returning them. There are people who do that here too, and anyway, I don't see the lower income group shopping at Nike, Spar or Shoppers Stop in India either.
Respect begets respect, and I realised that all other points I talked about : customer care, efficiency, professionalism, are natural derivatives of that.
I respect the fact that you are taking time out to meet me, so I will be on time. I appreciate that you are not happy with the purchase you made and don't want to spend money on something you won't use, so I will accommodate you without making you feel cheap.
I understand that the boy waiting on me at the store is probably doing it to save up for his college funds, so I won't be snooty to him and talk to him like an equal.
India as a country has a long way to go to cover these basics, to say the least.

9 comments:

Pratik said...

totally agree with you. don't know what can inculcate these things in our system but we definitely need those qualities.

amithpr.wordpress.com said...

Nivi - you have hit the nail on its head with your beautiful writing and absolutely succinct thoughts. You couldn't have said it better. While I have no experience at Nike I can agree with you blindly on similar experiences I have had the privilege to undergo. Well and did you just mention Trader Joe's and Ikea - did you?, did you?

That's why I love this city and country and hope to take back these learnings to our country someday.

Waiting to read more.

Unknown said...

Thanks Pratik da, and Amith (yeah, I did say Trader Joes adn Ikea. :)) Feels good to write about things other than profits and losses for a change, so thinking will do this more often

kaushik said...

okk.agree with most of the writing here. bt do not take blindly that customer service of usa is unquestionable. just call up comcast and try to change their plan or maybe vist a local/university hospital and ask them basic questions abt ur health. U will get lots of thank yous and sorrys, bt may not get any definite information. when it comes to day to day illness and doctors ability to conclude from the symptoms, ohho, american medical system sucks big time. They will forward you to atleast 3-4 different doctors just to confirm the fact that you have issues with tonsil or viral fever..Believe me, this is true and not just me.The same goes for comcast or at&t service plan change. However saying this, I cannot deny the fact that most of the stores/malls have way better customer handling then india. But isnt that natural!!! Here you are returning the shoe and that is being taken without question. Just imagine the same offer being given in Park street, Metro store..There will be millions of us taking stuffs and returning them almost every few days. Thats us. even in usa, indians ( some particular communities, not mentioning here) buy suits, sarees before wedding only to return them after the ceremonies citing some stupid reasons. USA can afford that, India can't.

Unknown said...

"And I won't hear of the argument that there are too many people in India who would resort to cheap tricks like using the merchandise and then returning them. There are people who do that here too, and anyway, I don't see the lower income group shopping at Nike, Spar or Shoppers Stop in India either." kaushik, people do that here too. and I seriously doubt the kind of people who shop at shoppers stop (you and me) do it en masse. and OK on Comcast. That is my limited exposure talking-- only have India and US to compare. I am totally sure there are countries/places that do a better job.

Gourav Bakshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gourav Bakshi said...

This is fascinating. As you correctly pointed out Respect begets Respect. That's the crux of the story. Professionally they are sensible enough to understand great experiences drive positive buzz. And they are so well organized. I know this for sure when I look at how my global counterparts are at work. They love details, plan meticulously and foresee challenges. That's what makes the entire supply chain so effective. Because they are so well organized, they do not panic. In India, in most of the places, we see business viewed only with an angle of transactions, P&L, etc. But it is changing. Companies like flipkart.com are taking on this challenge head on. and yes they are experiencing success like anything. At the end of the day, if it is delightful to do business with you (both as a service provider and customer), you have hit a massive home run baby

Unknown said...

thanks! this might actually get me to start writing more frequently

Unknown said...

kaushik: "De-Shopping” the act of buying an item, wearing or using it for a day and then returning it to the store is a growing problem with retailers. In 2011, De-Shopping cost retailers $14.4 billion (source: NRF). The largest offenders? Women who buy something, wear it once and return it (like a fancy dress to wear to a wedding or designer jeans for a night out). Another example is when a sports fan buys a new HDTV before the big game only to return it the following day; around 66% of consumer-electronics retailers have experienced this act which they like to call “wardrobing.”

this from a study I got via email. NRF= national retail federation. US specific. hence proved

where the mind is without fear and the head is held high..

where the mind is without fear and the head is held high..