Friday, March 9, 2012

Mind your Ps and Qs


    Of the many things that Indians have to adjust to in this country, one of the most difficult is understanding and maintaining the standards of propriety in daily living.
    I said in my last post that there is great respect for people and their work in this country.
    I have noticed almost without exception, tenants talk to the building boy the same way they talk to their neighbours and all human labor-- from your carpenter, to house cleaning, to whatyoumayhave is extremely expensive.
    A simple translation is: "you are using my skill set, so you had better appreciate it. No one is stopping you from cleaning your house yourself, or mending your bathroom sink, but if you want my help, you pay. And that does not make me a lesser person than you."
    (most)People in this country think like that, so the regular cleaner is often asked to join for a drink after work, and also tipped while at work.
    However, years of practising this has extended this well measured cordiality to such extremes that one has to be blind not to notice the plasticity in the entire scheme of things.
    Commuters on a bus at 6 in the morning wish and greet the bus driver on the way out. I know, because I take that bus everyday (yes, I wake up that early.) Sounds good, but before long, I was forced to wonder if every single person in the bus is actually grateful that the bus driver is doing her duty, or it is just a reaction mechanism?
    I took a closer look at those people, and realised that none of them were even looking at the driver when they said thanks, and neither did the driver. People just go through the mechanism because that is the way they have grown up.
    Just like people in India do not even think of greeting the bus driver on the way out because that is the way they have known.
    It IS a reaction mechanism. I don't blame anyone. No one can be that bright and cheery everyday so early in the morning, but then the natural question is, why make yourself to do it?
    And I will preempt you and say this here. A fake greeting is probably better than the stand offishness drivers and other blue collar job holders get from the rest of us back home, but what gets to me at times is when that falseness creeps into all aspects of life, and somehow makes it difficult for people to interact.
    People here may be friends, but they formally check with each other every single time they make any small decision or move. For example, my Indian friends would think nothing of taking a bottle of water from my desk for themselves if they need it, or sharing my food.
    My American friends will. Actually, most won't even ask, because they do not think it is nice or courteous to ask me to share something I bought with my money.
   Now when it comes to my pricey stilettos, makeup or even wine, I appreciate that mentality like every other urban, educated, working friend or acquaintance back home.
   But I doubt people can take it beyond that to everyday living without some kind of a hit. Manners practiced in extremes does have a way of draining you out.
    In this case, it is easily noticeable that it is more difficult for a person here to let others in than in India.
    There are so many "rules" to follow, that natural interaction is almost always stunted, because you are busy keeping a mental tab of the dos and don'ts.
    A friend who has lived in this country for some six odd years, had a date the other day and was describing it to me.
    "You have to keep note of all the rules, especially if it is a first date, because otherwise you will be cast as a 'type'."
    This is so well ingrained in society here that people practice it subconsciously-- you are a cat person or a dog person, you are an icecream person or a chocolate person, you are a trousers person or a skirt person.
    Difficult for someone like me, who dislikes both cats and dogs and wears trousers or skirts depending on what ironed top is avaliable to go with it.
    True, I like chocolates and have no great love for icecreams, but I dare you to stereotype me for it!
    Rules were always meant to help people, not turn them into zombies. A Delhi and a Calcutta can probably do well with following the rules of the road, which say bus stops are the places where the bus should actually stop.
    But if it is an emergency, sure, go ahead and stop it at the first convenient spot.
    Not so easy here. I had gone out for dinner one day when on the way back, it started snowing. We saw an empty bus in an empty street waiting at the light, and a friend asked if we could be taken in and saved from the snow. The driver said no, waited for the lights to turn green, and then stopped at the bus stop that was less than 3 feet away.
   Sure, me caught without a hat and gloves in the snow may not exactly make it as an "emergency" (I will give in to that argument, thought trust me, it felt very much like an emergency to me), but that somehow mirrors society here in its obsession with rules.
   There is this other anecdote that comes to mind. Someone I know had to recently call NYPD after he found a fellow student and roommate in such a state of waste it was difficult to figure what he had taken.
    In his words: "the guy is unconscious and retching, but because NYPD cannot touch him physically without a fair warning, they keep asking XYZ,  to please cooperate."
    Apparently after 3 such questions which were obviously met with no answers, my friend and his other pals butted in to assure the cops/paramedics that it was ok to lift him and do what it takes to take him to the hospital.
   You see what I mean?

7 comments:

kaushik said...

I agree with every single words, even the commas and fullstops of this piece. It is a chainreaction that has gone deep into the society here. and whats funny, even they acknowledge it and get very irritated at times to do this. I know this first hand from all my american friends. ( but then they are students of my age, so I can see they are more rebellious than the aged lots). Infact I was going to post on fb today, "tired of the stupid meaningless talk-for the-sake-of talking conversation", specially at 6 in the morning on a 40 mint train ride.Ohh yeah, you are not the only one taking train that early :( When i first came here, I found ppl saying to me " how do you do" and they do not even wait for me to response.. Hav become used to it, bt stll at times feel very irritated

Unknown said...

oh and yes, what about the inanely cheery "how's it going"s in the elevators? oh man.
really drives me crazy.

PS: nice to get 6AM company. :)

amithpr.wordpress.com said...

I like the way you have described every detail with zeal. I have had similar thoughts on most of the things you mentioned. The snow and the bus stop was a lessson for me on discipline. This country is what it is because of the rules that are respected and followed which has ingrained a culture of discipline. And discipline is the only way to a good life. They get it 9 on 10. We get it but far from even a 7 on 10.

Gourav Bakshi said...

i would like if somebody smiles at me and say how you doing in the morning. It is better than looking at the glum faces. I would like if somebody doesn't ask me to share my food. What...if you like my food, ask me the recipe. I will also like the fact that the bus stops at the right place and at the right time consistently every day. It saves time, effort and unimportant questions, hassles and requests.

Unknown said...

thanks guys! I am so happy you actually took time to read this. means a lot

Koustav Samanta said...

frm d 'chain reaction' till d NYPD Kripa... ;) loved every bit of it... way to go gurlie -- evn widout d hat, or, in d snow...

Amulya Nagaraj said...

Coming from a deep level of frustration of living in chaotic India, I actually appreciate the mechanism. I used to thank waiters at restaurants and such always, but thanking even bus and cab drivers was something I picked up while living abroad and it grew to be routine. But the fact that you say 'thank you', even absently, means you are noticing that the person is providing you a service. That does mean a lot!
Back in India, I'm realising that this makes a huge difference. I've had bus drivers thank me back, auto guys being a little nicer to me, the local tea guy having my cup of tea ready as soon as he sees me at the end of the road.
People acknowledge you. Which is something super rare in India, especially given the rat race. They push past you in a queue, honk incessantly in traffic even if there is no space for a rat to squeeze through... and so goes on the rant. :-)

where the mind is without fear and the head is held high..

where the mind is without fear and the head is held high..